Who is Bird
Bird is on a mission to bring environmentally friendly transportation to everyone. Our products, services, and people share one common goal: to make cities more livable by reducing gas-powered car usage, lowering carbon emissions, and improving the safety of all road users.
We are relentless in our pursuit of better—for our riders, for our partners, for our employees, and for future generations. Our award winning electric vehicles help millions of riders take carbon-free trips in more than 300 cities globally. And our teams push boundaries and challenge the status quo in pursuit of a brighter future.
The Vehicle Engineering team at bird is responsible for development of all vehicle components from concept to production. As an Electronics Engineer, you’ll have electrical design responsibility to help develop Bird scooters and provide engineering input and solutions to develop key brand differentiators.
- Design circuits and generate schematics for electronics in Bird vehicles.
- Direct critical portions of PCB layouts
- Maintain responsibility for partner-designed electronic modules, guiding and evaluating designs and prototypes
- Evaluate power management solutions, and perform power electronics functional test and system integration.
- Evaluate electronic designs in our electrical engineering lab, in conjunction with live vehicle operational testing on our dynamometer and in the field
- Select components according to requirements.
- Manage schematic capture and PCBA layout of all prototype electronics.
- Work with other Electrical, Mechanical, and Validation Engineers in analysis, investigation and resolution of engineering problems.
- Create and construct working prototypes for validation.
- Generate clear documentation, and communicate clearly to other members of the team
- Design experience with vehicle-oriented systems: power electronics, inverters / converters, motors, IoT systems, batteries, battery management systems
- Experience bringing electronic products to high volume production
- Digital, discrete analog, and power circuit design experience
- Prior professional experience with embedded electronics design containing microcontrollers, DSPs, memory, high speed signaling, IMU sensors
- System level electronic design experience
- Design for manufacturability (DFM) & Design for test (DFT)
- Experience with Altium Designer preferred
- Familiarity with embedded firmware
- Experience with CANbus, UART, I2C, and SPI communications
- Experience with Motor Control Systems
- Bachelor's or higher degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years related work experience
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare package, childcare support, pre-tax spending accounts, mental health resources, a work from home stipend, a wellness stipend, and a whole host of other out of the box benefits that meet you where you are.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.