Who Is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
The policy marketing manager has experience to help create a competitive advantage for Bird as an operator in cities, building programs, campaigns, collateral and relationships that drive our business forward. They will be comfortable with day-to-day policy marketing activities, as well as long-term strategy, thriving with tight deadlines and adapting to changing political and operating dynamics.
At Bird, cities are our #1 customer. To help us better connect and engage with cities, we’re looking for a Manager of Policy Marketing. The Manager of Policy Marketing will lead strategy, development and execution of integrated marketing programs designed to help elevate the Bird story amongst policy makers, drive awareness of our GovTech suite of products developed to help cities more effectively and efficiently manage and measure the impact of micromobility programs, and amplify the messages and content put forth by our policy team. The work will encompass strategy development, insight gathering, creative ideation and execution, implementation, and results analysis. Strong performance when it comes to operational compliance is a key to our success, so of particular value is direct experience managing compliance issues.
In this role you will be a key member of a world class integrated communications and marketing team. You will partner closely with a cross-functional team across Government Partnerships, Operations, Public Relations, Creative, Product, Growth and CRM teams to craft and execute digital campaigns, virtual and community events, networking programs and policy advocacy initiatives.
The right individual for this role will have experience working closely with policy makers, city officials and influencers with a strong focus on delivering high impact wins. They will be equally comfortable rolling up their sleeves and being scrappy to get the job done as they are presenting marketing strategies to C-level executives across the company.
- Bring Bird’s mission to life for policymakers, city officials and micromobility advocates
- Develop positioning, messaging frameworks and value propositions for new solutions
- Raise awareness and adoption of Bird’s suite of existing and future GovTech product offerings
- Build and scale compelling brand and category differentiation through results-oriented integrated offline and online B2G marketing campaigns, events and policy programs
- Productize and amplify Bird’s government, political and policy initiatives in a way that connects to and resonates with cities and related public organizations and advances our business objectives
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to drive alignment on the roadmap, marketing and execution plans
- Act as the internal voice of our solutions, educating cross-functional stakeholders on our products and how to appropriately leverage them to meet client’s needs
- Provide ongoing market insights on trends and needs of the audience as the context for innovation
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 10+ years of policy marketing experience, particularly managing issues around compliance
- Strong written and verbal skills, with extensive experience with drafting strategic positioning, crafting policy positions and crafting compelling campaigns
- Passion for Bird’s mission of reducing traffic and carbon emissions while offering fun, alternative transportation options
- Direct B2G marketing experience at scale
- Track record of developing results-oriented innovative, strategic government marketing plans and campaigns
- A passion for simplifying complex topics for external audiences and stakeholders
- Data-driven mindset coupled with a hunger to work in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Create government marketing programs that capture consumer attention and inspire action
- Demonstrated ability to drive results through teamwork and collaboration
- Ability to make tough, fast decisions based on business objectives
- Proven track record of operating with limited resources, shifting priorities, and competing deadlines
- Ability to take ambiguous needs and develop actionable and measurable plans
- Ability to effectively present to and advocate for ideas with senior management
- Exceptional communication and collaboration skills with the ability to build relationships and influence teams
- Strong project and operational management experience, particularly related to political campaigns including community outreach and engagement
- Experience working with policy makers and strong understanding of the legislative process
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.