Who is Bird
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we're just getting started.
The Senior Software Engineer tackles some of the most challenging technical and complex data problems impacting the world of micro-mobility.
Working closely with cross-functional teams, including Product, Data, and Operations, this role builds and supports our core backend services that are the backbone of Bird’s success.
What You'll Do:
- Develop firmware for Bird’s fleet of Electric Vehicles
- Collaborate with Electrical/Electronics Engineers, to develop these systems.
- Develop firmware installation and QC processes for new products.
- Tune system performance & verify operational efficiencies.
- Take finished products through all certifications for international use.
What You'll Need:
- Experience developing firmware for tracking devices, control systems, and RF products.
- Strong experience and proficiency in embedded languages, particularly with C.
- Experience with firmware development, testing, and debugging.
- Experience with FreeRTOS
- Experience with CANbus, UART, I2C, and SPI communications.
- Knowledge of PCB design, Using schematic capture and layout tools. Altium preferred.
- Knowledge of version control tools (GIT, SVN, or the like)
- Experience with Firmware Over the Air Process
- Experience developing Bootloaders and programming over CAN
- Experience with ST microcontrollers
- Experience with Nordic Semiconductor platforms
- Experience with FCC, CE, UL regulatory bodies and requirements
- LTE Cat M1 Experience
- Motor Control Systems Experience
- Multi Band GNSS Experience
- Wifi Experience
- NFC Experience
- Experience with MVNO operation
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.