Who Is Bird
At Bird, we’re on a mission to make cities more livable by reducing traffic and carbon emissions with an affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly transportation option. We planted roots in Los Angeles, California. Now, our fleet of electric scooters is available to riders in cities around the world for short trips or the “last mile” of their journey. In our first year, Bird launched in over 100 cities and provided over 10 million rides. And we’re only just getting started.
We are currently seeking to hire a Staff Software Engineer to become an integral part of our development team! As a Staff Engineer, you will work as part of a world-class, multi-disciplinary team to develop software across many stacks to operate and administrate a global transportation network.
- Set direction and guide implementation of core platform and infrastructure systems to support rapid feature iteration
- Define patterns and operational guidelines for software development and deployment
- Do critical R&D in timely fashion
- Work across all disciplines of engineering at Bird: Software, Firmware, and Hardware to identify gaps and advocate for solutions
- Design fault tolerant, highly available systems
- Be part of 24/7 support rotation for critical systems
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in STEM with 10+ years of professional, relevant experience
- Strong experience with Object Oriented programming and the JVM
- 5+ years of experience with Kubernetes and AWS
- Extensive experience with Flink, Kafka, and real-time streaming systems
- Experience in Kotlin, Golang, Avro, and Java
- Expertise in Hadoop Frameworks
- Extensive experience in Geospatial and IOT systems
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart, and open-minded group. Our employees are passionate about our mission, and eager to complete their work at the highest level. The office itself is up tempo and supportive, because we care about each other. People first, people.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare coverage, on-demand doctor visits, childcare support, a pre-tax commuter account for mass transit or parking, a wellness stipend, and more.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.