Santa Monica, CA – Today Bird, a Santa Monica-based electric motorized scooter rental company, announced the launch of a new safety campaign aimed at riders to educate them about the importance of California traffic laws and motorized scooter best practices. The company also announced that it will be providing free helmets to all active Bird riders via their mobile application.
“Safety is our top priority here at Bird and we’re committed to doing all we can to ensure that each and every ride is a safe one,” said Bird CEO Travis VanderZanden. “That’s why we’re offering free helmets to all of our riders and making sure all of our riders know the rules of the road and how to ride a Bird safely.”
Bird launched in Santa Monica last year and is a new eco-friendly, reliable and quick transportation option that allows riders to rent motorized scooters on-demand. In just four months the company has quickly taken off in popularity, with thousands of riders using the transportation option to get around Santa Monica. Bird requires all riders to be over 18 with a valid driver’s license and offers free helmets to all active riders.
The company is also providing safety resources and reminders to all of its riders on all of its platforms. Their “rules of the road” includes the following safety reminders:
- Only one rider at a time. Bird is fun with friends, but only one rider per Bird is permitted.
- You must wear a helmet while riding. Now that we’re literally giving them away – no excuses!
- You must be 18 or older, with a valid Drivers License. Bird is a great service for adults to commute to and from their favorite destinations.
- Ride in bike lanes. Please ride on the street close to the right curb and don’t ride on sidewalks.
- Safety check. Before riding, first check to ensure the Bird is fully functional and intact – from the grips and brakes to wheels. If you notice any problems, don’t ride that Bird and contact us immediately.
- Park responsibly. Don’t block sidewalks or the public right-of-way.
- Follow all local traffic laws including stop signs. In Santa Monica, you can find them all here.